If you are a regular computer user, you like many others would be held over a barrel by the threat of getting a virus. Having your computer files it in the way buy a computer worm or a backdoor Trojan is a nightmare in itself. We all need to protect our computers and our data by following some simple computer security tips.
Here are six computer security tips that will help you avoid getting viruses:
1. Make sure you have an antivirus program installed on your computer. This means that you should only install one anti-virus program.
2. You must enable a firewall on your computer. This is software that will block intruders from entering or accessing your computer.
3. You should install an anti-spyware program. Having all these three programs should keep your computer secure.
4. Do not downloaded illegal programs as they, more than often, contain nasty files.
5. Make sure all your programs are up to date. This includes your anti-virus program, your firewall program, your anti-spyware program, and your operating system. It is extremely important that all of these programs are up-to-date.
6. Never open and attachment in an e-mail unless you know who it is from and have arranged to get this attachment. Various viruses send out e-mails to everyone in your contact list so it looks like the e-mail is coming from your friend but it might not.
I have one bonus tip, that is a very simple one. install an antivirus program and remember the name of it. Therefore when a fake program pops up and says you have a virus, you will know that it is not your antivirus program. Once people press on the fake program it releases a virus on the computer. This is the most common way for computers to get infected.